Human Rights Institute of South Africa
DIRECTORATE: State of the Union
Position: State of the Union Project Intern
Location: Johannesburg Duration:
Fixed Term Contract 6 months
The State of the union Coalition was formed in 2009 by Civil Society Organizations in ten countries. It is a unique multi-sectoral monitoring group that is holding African Governments accountable for the ratification and implementation of African Union decisions. The coalition seeks to do this through Informing and empowering Citizens to act to claim key rights and freedoms; Influencing the African Union and African States to ratify, popularise and implement key standards, and through building inclusive continental and national platforms.
Purpose of the Role:
- To provide support to the administration, co-ordination and project management of the State of the Union project. Key responsibilities include but not limited to:
Assist project officer with reporting, following reporting guidelines of the project
- Work with Programs Manager to identify and secure venues for training, meetings and associated program activities;
- Assist in the preparation for workshops / community engagement meetings;
- Liaise with diverse stakeholders (youth participants, schools, community groups, donors, various spheres of government and other NGOs);
- Assist with monitoring and evaluation of programmes and compilation of reports
Desired Skills & Experience The successful candidate will have: A degree in International Relations, development studies, political studies, social development studies, demography and Population studies or related field from a nationally / internationally recognised university would be an advantage.
- Strong administration experience.
- Basic project management experience
- Experience with research and writing
- Well organized and able to apply skills to large amounts of information.
- Excellent people skills working across different levels and cultures
- Has experience of working to deadlines and the ability to prioritise and manage own workload.
- A proactive approach to duties, continually looking at ways to improve processes.
- Good communication skills. Fluent spoken and written English. Good interpersonal skills.
- Good administration, planning and project management skills.
- Proficiency in local languages will be an added advantage
Applications should be sent with your CV, motivation cover letter by no later than 24th February 2016. You are requested to highlight in the motivation letter how specifically you meet the criteria for this role. To: email@example.com
Due to high volumes of applications received, short listed applicants will be contacted going forward. Should you not have received feedback on your application within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. HURISA will not consider candidates from recruitment agencies. and reserves the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.
HURISA promotes diversity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community especially females.